UPPSC Combined State Examination, 2020 comprise 3 successive stages viz :-
The Preliminary will consist of two compulsory papers. The papers shall be 200 marks each and of two hours durations. Both the papers shall be objective Type & multiple choice in which there shall be 150-100 questions Respectively. The timing of paper- I will be from 9.30 to 11.30 A.M. and Paper- II from 2.30 to 4.30 P.M.
No. of Questions
Paper-1 - General Studies I
1/3rd Marks for Wrong Answers
(9.30 -11.30 am)
Paper-2 - General Studies II (CSAT)
(2.30 - 4.30 pm)
(1) Paper-II of the Preliminary Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%.
(2) It is mandatory for the Candidates to appear in both the papers of Preliminary Examination for the purpose of evaluation.Therefore a candidate will be disqualified in case he does not appear in both in papers.
(3) The merit of the Candidates will be determined on the basis of marks obtained in Paper-I of the Preliminary Examination.
The Written examination will consist of compulsory and optional subjects. The candidates have to select any one subject from the list of optional subjects for main examination which will consist of two papers.
Compulsory Subject viz: General Hindi, Essay and General Studies (First, Second, Third and Fourth papers) Papers Shall be Conventional type and for solving the questions three hours time is allowed. For optional Question papers three hours time is allowed. Two hundred maximum marks has been allotted for each optional question paper
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS ARE AS BELOW
Duration: Two hours
Marks - 200
* Current events of national and international importance.
* History of India and Indian National Movement.
* India and World geography - Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the
* Indian Polity and governance - Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public
Policy, Rights Issues etc.
* Economic and Social Development - Sustainable Development, Poverty Inclusion,
Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
* General Issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change- that do not
require subject specialization.
* General Science
Duration : Two hours
Marks - 200
· Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
· Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
· Decision making and problem solving.
· General mental ability
· Elementary Mathematics upto Class X level- Arithmatic, Algebra, Geometry and Statistics.
· General English upto Class X level.
· General Hindi upto Class X level
Current events of national and international Importance:- On Current Events of
National and International Importance, candidates will be expected to have knowledge
History of India & Indian National Movement:- In History emphasis should be on broad
understanding social, economic and political aspects of Indian History. In the Indian
National Movement, the candidates are expected to have synoptic view of nature and
character of the freedom movement, growth of nationalism and attainment of
India and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the
World: In World Geography only general understanding of the subject will be expected.
Questions on the Geography of India will relate to Physical, Social & Economic Geography
Indian Polity and Governance - Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj,
Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.:- In Indian Polity, Economic and Culture, questions will
test knowledge of country's political system including Panchayati Raj and Community
Development, broad features of Economic policy in India and Indian Culture.
Economic and Social Development - Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion,
Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.:- The candidates will be tested with
respect to problems and relationship between Population, Environment and Urbanisation.
General Issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not
require subject specialization, General awareness of the subject is expected from
General Science:- Questions on General Science will cover general appreciation and
understanding of Science including matters of every day observation and experience, as
may be expected of a well educated person, who has not made a special study of any
Note:- Candidates are expected to have general awareness about the above subjects with
special reference to Uttar Pradesh.
Elementary Mathematics (Upto Class X Level)
numbers, Real numbers, Divisors of an Integer, prime Integers, L.C.M. and H.C.F. of
integers and their Interrelationship.
(ii) Average (iii) Ratio and proportion (iv) Percentage (v) Profit and Loss (vi) Simple and
Compound Interests (vii) Work and Time (viii) Speed, Time and Distance
Interrelationship, Remainder theorem, simultaneous linear equations, quadratic
equations. (ii) Set Theory:- Set, null set, subsets and proper subsets of a set, operations
(Union, Intersections, difference, symmetric difference) between sets, venn diagram.
trapezium and circles, their perimeter and area. (ii) Volume and surface area of sphere,
right circular cylinder, right circular Cone and Cube.
tabulation, cumulative frequency. Representation of data - Bar diagram, Pie chart,
histogram, frequency polygon, cumulative frequency curves (ogives), Measures of
Central tendency: Arithmetic Mean, Median and Mode.
General English Upto Class X Level
शब्द रचना, वाक्य रचना, अर्थ, शब्द-रूप, संधि & समास, क्रियाएँ, अनेकार्थी शब्द, विलोम शब्द, पर्यायवाची शब्द, मुहावरे & लोकोक्तियाँ, तत्सम एवं तद्भव, देशज, विदेशी (शब्द भंडार), वर्तनी, अर्थबोध, हिंदी भाषा में होने वाली, अशुद्धियाँ, मुख्य बोलियाँ